SOPHIE PARKIN: WHAT IS IN YOUR JEWELLERY BOX?
Zuleika Gerrish asks writer, artist and poet Sophie Parkin what is in her jewellery box. We present the first of our series, Venus in Pearls: What is in your jewellery box? We have chosen Sophie Parkin. Sophie is many things in the art world; she is an artist, a writer, a poet, an art dealer and is the owner of the eccentric artist club in East London, Vout-O-Reenees. Sophie can make the most incredible cocktails (and she would know, her best friends was the late and much-lamented Dick Bradsall, who recreated the original Espresso Martini, Bramble among others). Sophie is also Zuleika’s sister from their father Michael Parkin’s first marriage to Molly Parkin. But best of all, she loves jewellery and accessorising.
Let’s talk jewellery and all things sparkly - we are so lucky and honoured to have Sophie Parkin as our first Venus in Pearls!
Shop the look
Shop the look
LETS ASK SOPHIE MORE QUESTIONS?
1. Coco Chanel apparently said “Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and remove one accessory”. Do you agree with this statement? Is there a piece you can not leave the house without?
No I only ever stop to add another trinket or two.
2. Now I love Queen Maxima of the Netherlands’ jewellery and would love to meet her one day. Do you have an idol whos jewellery collection would you love to see?
Nancy Cunard. But she probably sold it all to keep the wolf from the door when her family cut her off. Or Andrew Logan at his museum in Wales!
3. Cartier have a panther as their mascot, Bulgari have a snake.. which animal do you think you would have as yours?
4. In Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Marilyn Monroe sang “Diamonds are a girls best friend” do you agree with her? Do you have a favourite gemstone?
I have old diamonds but I'd never buy anything new! Rubies and emeralds are cute but you cant beat Lapis Lazuli.
5. Your birthstone for June is Pearl, Moonstone and Alexandrite. Do you think they are appropriate to you.
I am a child of the moonstone but I dont have any jewels hint hint (I have one next to my pillow)
6. Queen Margrethe of Denmark when talking about her jewellery collection, said that in Denmark, “we don’t count the carats, we count the centuries”. What is the allure of antique jewellery to you?
I'm with Denmark. New is crass. Old jewellry has the beauty of experience, hand crafted, wisdom of the ages and stories of the past, a bit like me!
We asked Sophie to pick her 10 favourite pieces from Parkin & Gerrish
WHERE CAN I FIND SOPHIE?
Sophie Parkin runs Vout-O-Reenees, a private members club in East London: www.voutoreenees.com
She has an exhibition on about amazing women; 147 Women Dinner Party. The private view is on 11th February 2022, 6-10pm, The Stash Gallery at Vouts o Reenees, London E1 8BB.
Sophie has written a book on 'The Colony Room Club' Which is about the history of a club in bohemian soho with Francis Bacon and Muriel Belcher.
Sophie also has her own podcast @Shadowspies which is out now with loads of fascinating stories.
Follow her on instagram: @voutoreenees